SIPTU Retained Fire Fighters accept WRC proposals to resolve dispute
SIPTU Retained Fire Fighters have today (Tuesday, September 5th) voted to accept proposals from the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) to resolve their industrial dispute. This follows intensive consultation last week and a secret ballot.
Karan O Loughlin, SIPTU Divisional Organiser, said: “This has been a protracted battle to bring the poor terms and conditions for retained fire fighters into the public domain and to begin the process of rebuilding the Retained Fire Service. While today’s vote ends the current strike, it does not end that battle.
“The WRC document is the beginning of the next stage for the Retained Fire Fighters. SIPTU representatives will be writing immediately to the employers and to the minister. We will advise of the acceptance of the document and seek to engage in discussions in respect of the retainer and the rollout of the WRC terms, especially those clauses that relate to recruitment, pay and time off.
“We will be making it clear that we expect the terms of the WRC document to be delivered in full and in a timely manner. We also expect that the political commitments in respect of the next movement on the retainer will be delivered in full.”
Brendan O’Brien, SIPTU Sector Organiser for the Local Authority Sector, said: “This morning, our national elected committee will meet to plan phase two of this process.
“The Retained Fire Fighters are battle scarred after many years of struggle over these issues. While the WRC document does not deliver a cure for all that ails the Retained Fire Service, it has created a path forward to commence the transformation that the service needs.
“Fire fighters are to be commended for their steadfast solidarity to each other and to their communities during this very difficult dispute.”